Wednesday, February 8, 2012

One More Writing Style for the Resume


As a Communication major with an English Studies minor, I have written my fair share of papers. I have discussed everything from workplace anger and conflict management styles to Sylvia Plath’s use of symbols and allusions in poetry. Despite a pretty lengthy writing resume, I have never written a feature story. To be honest, I always feel slightly apprehensive when writing in new styles. This is mostly because I sometimes find it difficult to switch from an academic writing style to a more journalistic style. With a feature story, you are not writing about facts or concepts in a book, but trying to tell a story about a person’s life. I personally find telling someone’s life story a big responsibility, but it is a challenge that I believe will be very beneficial in the future.

Despite never writing a feature story, I still believe my diverse background in writing will help me to write a compelling piece. I feel that I have a talent for taking multiple pieces of information, such as pieces from an interview, and compiling them into a fluid document. From recent experience in my internship, I also believe that I know the appropriate time to use quotations and vivid language. I have also learned to adapt my writing style for audience, which is a very important aspect of feature story writing.

When writing my feature story, I feel concerned that I did not gain enough information in the interview process that will allow for me to use my strengths of compiling multiple quotations and pieces of information. I also feel that I may have difficulty switching from academic writing to a more journalistic style in order to avoid the story sounding too bland and impersonal. Overall, I feel that it may be difficult to exceptionally capture the true personality and essence of an individual.

During the video shoot for the admissions office, I noticed that the videographer moved his position multiple times to capture different angles of Rogal Chapel. This was most likely to capture the architectural structure of the chapel, including the stained glass windows. I also noticed that the videographer moved the tripod that held his camera to different levels to also gain different perspectives. With the beautiful stained glass window at the front of the chapel, I also noticed that the videographer chose to showcase this feature by filming at sunset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment